If you are planning a trip to Formentera and do not know where to start, in this post we will help you.
Formentera is an island with a special magic. If you have already been you know what we are talking about and if not, be prepared to be captivated.
We recommend going at least once a year … without Formentera it is like summer is not the same, but it is precisely outside the summer when We recommend a getaway to really connect with the island, its essence and its authentic lifestyle, devoid of so much tourist.
May if you have good weather is one of the best months, since it is the prelude of summer and will help you to load the batteries that you need in spring. June is a safe bet as September, and October is a very pleasant month … still good weather, people are more relaxed after the summer and have the joy of everything lived, rhythm more «slow» … the colors of the sunset, the temperature, the long baths in the sea still hot after all the summer … arriving in September thinking that the summer is over is false … if you want, you will always have Formentera at its best .
Out of season you will truly discover the kindness that Formentera can offer you such as long bike rides on the dusty dirt roads of the island, motorcycle ride without worries (in summer the bikes are everywhere), taking boat trips is a ideal plan and anchor in a cove to bathe and enjoy the tranquility of its crystal clear waters and even dive by caves (we recommend you do it on a llaut, typical fishing boat of the Balearic Islands), improvise enjoying its cuisine without reservations, No long waits, walk calmly through its shops and talk with the artisans for a while …
Despite being 20 kilometers long, in Formentera you will always need some transport to travel and enjoy the island in all its splendor. In addition to motorcycles you can find original options such as renting a mehari. Starting from that premise, the ideal to live a unique experience is to stay in a typical country house on the island and if you had a view of the sea … we would have it all.
The difficult part is sometimes to find a nice house of these characteristics available now Reasonable prices, especially in the seasons of highest affluence. One more advantage to enjoy the island outside of the official season.
We have selected three unique houses that will change the experience of your vacation
Hidden between pine forests and junipers has a privileged location just 100 meters from the beach of Migjorn. Surrounded by native vegetation and respectful of its surroundings, this family home has four rooms with capacity for eight people. Can you imagine taking a bath in the sea when you get up? we are left with its views and its wonderful porch overlooking the sea … you will not want to leave.
4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilets. Capacity: 8 people.
More info: email@example.com
It reminds us of the typical countryside constructions of Formentera. A boho chic style in the highest area of the island, in the countryside. Discretion, privacy and maximum comfort. If you are also a lover of decoration, you will enjoy each of its inspiring details. Project signed by the prestigious interior designer Luis Galliussi.
5 bedooms, 4 bathrooms, swimming pool. Capacity: 10 people.
Beautiful area of the island where we find this traditional country house that besides being in the middle of nature enjoys wonderful views of the sea from a cliff that is only 80 meters. Decorated with great taste, it has a swimming pool and different porches.
6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, swimming pool. Capacity: 12 people.
To enjoy yourself to the fullest, then we make you a mini guide with some recommendations for your stay on the island.
Formentera to be a small island with such demand has generally high prices, we recommend you check the websites of each restaurant before you can assess their gastronomic offer in advance. In high season it is essential to book in most of them (from June 15 to September 15 approximately).
- Es Molí de Sal: a classic that never fails. It is an old mill converted into a restaurant where not only can they boast fantastic gastronomy, but their 360 degree views are unmatched.
- Juan y Andrea: very famous on the island. Privileged location on the beach of Illetas (within the spectacular natural reserve of Ses Salines offers a variety of fish and Mediterranean cuisine, in general, at high prices).
- Beso Beach: Very fashionable place to enjoy all day, until sunset. Mediterranean-Basque cuisine. They serve cocktails and it becomes a place of drinks at sunset. Beach of Ses Salines.
- Can Carlos y Can Carlitos: signature cuisine signed by chef Nandu Jubany. Can Carlos was the first to open and is located in Sant Francesc (interior). Can Carlitos is in an ideal location to watch the sunset and dine overlooking the sea, in the port of La Savina.
- Ca Na Joana: located in Sant Francesc, it is a cozy restaurant with good Mediterranean cuisine.
- Quimera:It is the restaurant of Hostal La Savina. They have Ana Jiménez as chef who got a michelin star when he was in Can Dani. Regarding the hostel is located on the beach of the famous Estany des Peix. We recommend you to go there one day to watch the sunset.
- Can Rafalet: typical of the island for paella and fish with spectacular views. Located in Es Caló.
- Marewa: They have a good selection of private chefs. Ideal when you do not want to move from home without giving up a good dining experience.
- Voga Marí: on foot of Migjorn beach. Good rice
- Chiringuito El Pelayo: simple, unpretentious and foreign to the fashions of the island. A classic and informal chiringuito on the beach of Migjorn where you can eat fresh fish and rations at moderate prices.
- Sa sequi:It is the first restaurant on the way to Illetas from the Port. It has a snack bar. Site for aperitif and sunset with early dinner.
- Ca na Pepa: highly recommended for breakfasts or snacks. In Sant Francesc.
- Flipper Formentera: cMediterranean snack bar and restaurant with live music.
- Five Flowers: the only luxury hotel in Formentera. The restaurant is run by Hideki Matsuhisa, who also has a Michelin star. He is a Japanese type.
- Chezz Gerdi: If you fancy an Italian day this is your best option.
- Fonda Platé: a classic bar of Formentera of the most authentic located in Sant Francesc. It has been open since the 1920s and is one of the epicenters of the island’s social life. A meeting place to have an aperitif that we definitely recommend.
Chiringuitos and drinks
Chiringuitos to drink something late / night:
- Beso Beach: You will enjoy an exceptional sunset. Illetas beach.
- Pirata Bus: to spend a day at the beach and drink a mojito (in this you can not see the sunset). Migjorn beach.
- Bue Bar: to lengthen the night (closes at around 4am). If afterwards you want to continue the night you will have to go to Es Pujols.
- Zona de copas (Es Pujols): It has a terrace area and numerous bars. Pachanka Bar or Tipics (dance disco with music by DJs, Ibiza style). Probably the latter is the one that closes later, type 7 am. If you plan to leave late, we recommend the use of taxis.
Chill out restaurante Molí de la Sal. Playa de Illetas
Craft shops that you can not miss
Formentera has special stores that you will love. There are usually flea markets in the port and in some of its towns.
- Isvhara:shop of handmade shoes and bags made on the island.
- Muy: Decoration shop, clothes, jewelry (designers and craftsmen).
- Mundo Insólito:clothes, original fabrics …
Mercadillo de La Mola: open on wednesdays and sundays in the afternoon.
Mercado artístico de Sant Ferrán:Open every day in the evenings except on Wednesdays.
Mercadillo de La Mola
Places to go
Cap de Barbaria: there is the famous cave and image that we have recorded in the memory of Julio Medem’s film, «Lucia y el sexo.»
Ir a Espalmador:swimming or by boat We can get to the beach of Illetas. Probably one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Go for a drink at the Las Dunas hotel terrace with its infinity pool (little hotel in Formentera). From there to the Pirate Bus there are two minutes walk.
See a sunset at the La Savina hostel, located on the beach of Estany des Peix, very close to the port of La Savina.
Go to the lighthouse of La Mola, stopping at the famous lookout which is on the rise to make a good view of the island.
Cap de Barbaria. Photography by Formentera Moto Rent.
And the best thing is that many of the sites are open until the middle and end of October, so you still have summer to extend.